Monday, June 6, 2011

Climbing Up

I went out to meet a new group of people and enjoy rock climbing in the process.  If you know me, you would say "Wait, didn't you try rock climbing when you were 12 and hate it?"  And my answer would be yes.  But, that's a long time ago so I decided to try it again.  I checked out the website and it said a lot of people use it as an alternative to a traditional gym.  So I had to figure out the best way for me to D.  But I also had to account for the stress of dealing with my fear of heights and the stress of meeting an entirely new group of people.  And I had been dealing with what seemed like consistent yet unpredictable lows.  And I didn't want a low to sideline me.  I decided to reduce my basal rate down to 75%.  The good news is I never went low.  But I did consistently climb.  (And I'm not talking about up the wall.)  I don't like watching my numbers go up, but I honestly think it was more related to stress rather than not enough insulin.

When I was putting on my harness, I tried to wrap my pump in my t-shirt, but nothing stays exactly where it starts.  As I was climbing up in the beginning, my pump started swinging.  The woman belaying me told me my camera had come loose and did I want to throw it down to her?  I explained how I can't because it's an insulin pump.  I hadn't really wanted to, but sometimes you just have to tell people about diabetes.  And it worked in my favor because any time they noticed the rope was near my pump, they would alert me and I was able to slide my pump to a different spot on my waistband.  It was good to be aware.

1 comment:

  1. Whenever I am doing something like this, I just tuck into my bra. just makes life easier. But that was nice of her to tell you so you wouldn't have it get tugged on!

    ReplyDelete