Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Hope

I've been going through strips like a crazy person lately, and I went to re-stock.  I also needed to re-stock on tabs and I decided to get some of the little drinky-glucose things too.  Then I wait to talk to the pharmacist to get my test strips.

"One Touch Ultra please"
"All we have is 100"
"Okay"
"Don't you have insurance?"
"Yea, but it only covers strips for a meter that's much less accurate, and I've been having trouble lately, so I'm not going to risk anything"
"Wow, I'm sorry"

It doesn't make it any easier.  It doesn't make it any better.  Shelling out $140 for strips & tabs is never going to be "easy."  But having someone behind the counter say I'm sorry, well, it gives me hope.  Hope that there are enough people out there hearing it that it could change.  With enough sincerity, the world can be better.

4 comments:

  1. :/
    i wish that your insurance covered the strips you want. maybe you need to send some of your DOC buddies a mailing address so they can help you save a little bit of monies, hint hint.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ditto what meredith said! and yay for the pharmacist! it's so nice when people care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said. We pay way to much for strips.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had the same reaction a few years ago when picking up my insulin. I had a high-deductible plan that picked up only after meeting a $2500 deductible that included prescriptions. So, every month or so, I was picking up insulin and paying around $350. The girl behind the counter did the same thing-- "You don't have insurance?" "Yeah, but it won't cover these til I meet my deductible" "Oh, that sucks. I'm so sorry. I wish they wouldn't do that to people" "yeah, me too."--- was the conversation. And it really did suck.

    ReplyDelete