Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Hip Site

I've been a little worried about "real estate" lately.  I talked about scar tissue with Allison a little bit, but I really should talk to the doctor about it, however I always forget about it because when I'm there I am always more concerned about the extreme highs/lows and my overall A1C.  Asking about my scar tissue that's been there for at least ten years just isn't on the front burner when it comes to the questions I need to ask.  Especially because my scar tissue is on my arms, and the thought of putting my pump site & tubing into my arms not only scares me, I think I would need to be a human pretzel to do it.

Where I wear my pump, tubing & all.
So I decided to try out my hip.  If you're wondering; yes, directly under the seam of my jeans.  It felt a little weird going in, but after I scratched around the site, I felt good to go.  And I was.  I was completely impressed with my numbers.  Only occasionally did I feel it, when my pump was right over it, but I moved my pump and I was good to go.  And then I went to bed.  I tend to fall asleep on my side, and oh boy it hurt.  Don't get me wrong, I did eventually fall asleep, but it took a lot of extra fidgeting and moving and rolling around to get to a place where I didn't feel the whole weight of me on my site.  I managed it, and did so for the next few nights, but I haven't made up my mind yet.  Awesome BGs = yay!  Having extra trouble falling asleep at night = not so yay!

2 comments:

  1. Briley, glad it works so well outside of sleeping. I've been concerned about a site like that just for the lack of fat and plethera of bone, but may try it. As far as sleeping, I've always adjusted my sleeping accordingly to where my pump site is at. If on my left stomach side, I don't sleep on my left side. On my front or back, same logic. Don't really toss when I sleep so no concern there. I'd try this with hip site too. Thanks for the thought, and motivation to try one out (right after I get around to trying Jacquie's side-butt real estate...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an update to my earlier comment... Actually, in attempting to connect to some side-butt real estate, I apparently mis-aimed and ended up with a hip site. And it's NOT treating me well... feels like walking on eggshells and even a little painful. Not yet sure about absortion in the past few hours, but will have to keep watch and decide then. BLAH.

    ReplyDelete