Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Ten Things I Hate About You



Ten Things I Hate About You, Diabetes: Having a positive attitude is important, but let's face it diabetes isn't all sunshine and roses (or glitter and unicorns).  So today let's vent by listing ten things about diabetes we hate.  

I hate that you took my favorite counselor from me when I was a kid. And that that made getting sick in college really scary.  And that when I did end up in the hospital, and awake the thought passed through my mind "at least I didn't end up like Jill."

I hate that you scared me and my parents to death after a 24 hour urine test, simply because we didn't know I wasn't supposed to collect while I had my period.

I hate that because you broke, people think it's my fault if the amount of glucose in my is too high or too low.

I hate that there are kids out there (and probably adults) who use you to get attention.  I hate the situations it has put them in and I hope that there is someone out there to support those people.

I hate that not all things that can influence my glucose are easily measured and predictable, like stress.

I hate that what I've been trained to recognize as symptoms can also be real people feelings.

I hate that while I'm sitting here writing this, I'm just getting mad at you.  You're forcing me to turn away from my optimism and I don't like how it's making me feel.

I hate that you make me feel weak.  I am not weak, but sometimes you take all the power away and I feel weak.  Not just physically, but emotionally.  And bouncing back is HARD.  You send me sweats and shakes and shivers and tears and none of them are welcome.

I hate all the space and money you take up.  Glove compartment, closet, headboard, bedside table, pantry.  And that's just supplies.  Never mind the extra file folder I had to buy in order to keep all your doctor appointments organized.

I hate that some of my best D friends live 3,000 miles away.  The experience is totally worth it, but having my support system so far away sucks.

Thank you Karen for hosting DBlog Week!
If you want to see what other's hate, check it out here!

4 comments:

  1. Such a heart felt post, Briley. We share so many of the same feelings. (((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ouch ouch ouch, on that 24-hour urine test. (And the rest, too, but that one ...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! I totally agree on the "weakness" and real-people feelings parts. Deciding whether I can blame diabetes or if I'm just using it as an excuse... "Am I grumpy now because I'm high or because something else happened?" That takes up so much mental energy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. #6 about feelings (real vs diabetes)..makes me so sad!! But a wonderful post

    ReplyDelete