Thursday, November 11, 2010

Attack

Two days ago my diabetes got attacked.  In the conversation of an unrelated topic, all of a sudden I heard, "You have diabetes.  You have an autoimmune disease so you are weak."  Since I'm a nanny, I'm a big fan of not interrupting people.  I broke that rule: "Do not EVER talk to me about my diabetes again.  You think I don't know I have diabetes?  The testing and bolusing are a constant reminder, and while I'm living my life I don't need you looking down on me."


I may have over-reacted.  But this is a person who I have tried to teach about diabetes (especially as it relates to me) over the course of the five years I have known them, and they clearly have not taken as much in as I thought.  And it isn't that I don't want them to talk to me about diabetes, but I certainly don't ever want to be attacked again.  


Is there anyone else out there who has had a similar experience?  Especially with someone who you thought knew about diabetes?




*On a side note, Happy Veterans Day to all, especially to the Veterans*

2 comments:

  1. Who would say something so mean and hurtful? They don't sound like a very good friend to me! I would never put up with being with a person who thought so little of me because of something I have no control over. Wow...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a teacher tell a friend's parent in middle school that I would never amount to anything because of my diabetes and that my weaknesses would only hold their child back. What a good teacher right? It's been my life's mission to prove that teacher wrong.

    ReplyDelete