Wednesday, November 3, 2010

"I just want you to know I'm always here." - Diabetes

During the every day mundane tasks, diabetes is still there.  I found that out today the hard way.  I have been on a roller coaster for the past few days, so the times I've been testing throughout the day has also been on a rise.  Today I started kinda high, almost low, then bounced back up, and kept going.  As I bolused on the way back from getting Girl Genius, I got the "oh so fun" No Delivery alarm.  I was on the rise and definitely needed my bolus.  I grabbed my pen, attached the needle and primed it.  As I pulled up to a red light, I yanked up my sweatpants and got my pen all set up.  This light is notoriously long, so I wasn't worried, I put the needle in, and the light turns green.  I plunge the pen faster than I ever have before, all while taking my foot off the brake and trying to step on the gas, and steer.  I get around the corner, and I take the pen out, shake my pant leg back down and continue on my way.  By the time I get back to the Genius household, my BG is coming down.  It may not have been the smartest or safest way to get what I needed.  But it worked, and I got the outcome I wanted.  After picking up Boy Genius from school, I changed my site and the rest of the day has been "fine."


By "fine," I mean that I found out that Diabetes Awareness Month actually means: Have fun on this roller coaster ride!

1 comment:

  1. Yikes. With all the anti-texting and riving laws that are popping up across a lot of states, it is a good thing that there aren't any injecting and driving laws. ;-)

    ReplyDelete