Monday, November 29, 2010

Hypoglycemic Unawareness

Lately I've apparently been suffering from hypoglycemic unawareness.  When I was a kid, I definitely suffered from it, and there came a time when I didn't anymore.  It wasn't apparent, but all of a sudden there was a realization that I would feel low, I would test, be low, and have the chance to take care of it.  I wouldn't be low when I tested just because it was time to test. Previous to last week, I would feel low, test, and be somewhere in the 60's.  And as much as I don't like being low, 60's certainly isn't a bad low.  But last week, I would test because it was time to test, or I'd start to feel a little low, and I'd be in the 40's.  One night I woke up at 4:30 AM, was 41, grabbed two juice boxes and sucked them down, then rolled back over and went back to sleep.  But really?  41?!  That's a scary number.  (And I don't generally consider middle of the night hypoglycemia unawareness.)  And last Wednesday while I was trying to get Boy & Girl Genius packed and ready for the airport, I was in the 40's again.  I got out a glass, got some orange juice and Girl Genius talked my ear off.  She wants to know why I don't have to cut it with water.  And then in the middle of drinking it, I get a brain freeze.  And I semi-snap.  "Girl Genius, I will pay attention to you, but first I need to finish my juice."  


But where do I go from here?  As a child, this was the only thing that I had to worry about.  I had my mother to worry about everything else.  I needed to work on feeling low, and then all of a sudden it happened.  But how do I do it now?  I already know what it feels like.  I'm alert to how my body feels now.  I've been the best diabetic I've ever been since I started this blog.  How do I start feeling low again?  I test nearly 15 times per day, and yet I'm still missing these lows.  Is there anyone else who has experienced this before?  How do I go back to catching them when I'm barely low?  

No comments:

Post a Comment