Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Diabetes Feelings that aren't Diabetes

I was driving home from work yesterday, and I was on the phone with my mother complaining about the way my body felt.  "Mom, I feel low, but I'm 247!  I feel like I should be able to fix this feeling with juice, but juice will just make it worse!  UGH!"  You get the idea. "You know, Briley, that your body will feel ways that aren't related to diabetes.  You are a person just like the rest of us."


OK Mom, you got me.  But I have this feeling, that I've been taught to fix for 21 years.  This weak feeling in my body?  I drink juice and it goes away.  I'm thirsty?  I drink water, take a shot and it goes away.  Other symptoms for me include glassy eyes (clearly I can't notice this symptom), runny nose, and shaky.  But now I feel this way, and I'm prepared to make it go away, and it's not diabetes related.  Now what do I do?  I am not prepared for this.  I've been trained to focus on the way my body feels as it relates to diabetes.  So now that it's not, that also means it's not fixable.  And I must say, I'm not a fan.

1 comment:

  1. Couldn't agree more, Briley: How dare our bodies act all normal!?! Pushes us to focus on the D, but as soon as we do, it throws a curve-ball and makes us look the other way, and then the D acts up... AARRRG! Hope all works out, D or not!

    ReplyDelete