Friday, October 15, 2010

Making fun of Diabetes

Lately I've been trying to take better control of my diabetes.  Some days are good, and some days are bad.  On the good days, I don't tell anyone because I don't want to jinx it.  On the bad days, I have to hold my tongue on internet posts so as not to seem depressed about it.  Sometimes though I just need to share what I'm feeling.   And often times my friends comment on it.
This guy has always said different things about diabetes.  Things about being low, or high, or just about getting in the way of drinking, or just some sort of crazy things.  From most people, these types of comments bother me, but not from him.  He's really smart, and he generally knows what he's talking about.  If he doesn't, I correct his information and we go about the rest of our lives.  Correcting his jokes was my way of educating him about type 1 diabetes, and he's smart enough to know what I'm talking about. When I saw him last weekend, I walked into the room and after the "hey, your here!" moments, he started talking about how he's not allowed to make fun of my diabetes anymore.  When I asked why, he mentioned that his new girlfriend has diabetes, but doesn't like to talk about it.  He goes on to tell me about how there was a time when she didn't even like to take care of it, and of course my first question is: how old was she when she was diagnosed. Twelve or Thirteen.  From the people that I've known of, many people diagnosed at this age have a difficult time coping with diabetes, so it makes sense now why he says he can't make fun of me anymore.  Not that I will miss "being made fun of" but it is something that will feel missing.  I've always "said" that I wish he would stop, but now that it may actually be stopping, I don't know how I feel about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment