Thursday, October 14, 2010

New Gym

After living here for nearly a year, I've finally joined a gym.  With the new membership, came a free personal training session.  Before the exercise actually starts, I talked with the trainer for a while and one of the questions was something along the lines of: Is there anything medical that might affect your exercise?  I go on to mention that I've had type 1 diabetes for 21 years, and then I describe the other activities that I participate in (swimming, running, tennis, skiing) and she flips over her paper and checks the diabetes box, and next to it writes type 1.

Having to write type 1 got me thinking.  Does she know what it feels like to have to be differentiated?  Does she understand that being "impressed" just makes me mad?  Does she actually know the differences? Does she even care?

No comments:

Post a Comment